Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Post-Classic Whalers
  Wood in Montauk 170

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Wood in Montauk 170
Macadoo posted 08-04-2005 09:50 PM ET (US)   Profile for Macadoo   Send Email to Macadoo  
When I purchased my 2003 170 I found a drawing of the boat in the owners manual and locations where the boat had wood backing under the deck. These areas included the transome, locations for installing a bimini top etc. Does anyone know if the material used for these backing plates is wood or "whaler board" on a 2003 170?
Matthew posted 08-04-2005 10:11 PM ET (US)     Profile for Matthew  Send Email to Matthew     
They used a combination of the two. There is a reference section on the Whaler website that has the wood locating diagram for your boat.
royaloakwhaler posted 08-05-2005 01:58 PM ET (US)     Profile for royaloakwhaler  Send Email to royaloakwhaler     
If you look at the diagram, you will see the dimensions of the backing material listed along with a description of what the material is. I don't have the diagram in front of me, but I think the wood is shown as PLY and the composite whalerboard as WB. The 170 has both. I think the transom is plywood and some of the other areas are whalerboard.
royaloakwhaler posted 08-05-2005 02:09 PM ET (US)     Profile for royaloakwhaler  Send Email to royaloakwhaler     
Just cheched the diagram. The Whalerboard is listed as PHENOLIC and the wood as PLY.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.