11 TENDER Appraisal

A conversation among Whalers
Artifactual

11 TENDER Appraisal

Postby Artifactual » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:49 pm

I have an 11-foot Boston Whaler TENDER boat Evinrude 20-HP engine that has been converted to a 30. The little boat is used primarily for a tender to my sport fishing boat, and it has served me well. I have redone it a bit by painting the exterior with Interlux and also the inside the same way. The 11 TENDER is c.1978 and the engine is a 1985 tiller steer model. Overall the combo is in good shape, the engine runs flawlessly, and there is a like-new trailer.

I am considering moving up into a SPORT 15, which will still fit on the front deck of the sport fishing boat in the cradle and the Davit will handle it. Reason for this is my son is getting older and more room in the tender would be great. So with my long winded introduction finished, I'll ask the million dollar question: What is my current 11 TENDER worth?

I know they are pretty rare. I want a fair market value price, having a tough time finding any comparables. Thanks in advance--Will

[This posting is the author's] first post but [he has] been reading the forums on and off for about five years.

jimh

Re: 11 TENDER Appraisal

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:30 am

I am quite surprised your 11 TENDER has tolerated a 30-HP engine. That must be far above its rating.

Here is a prior discussion about prices:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/020099.html

You may find more comments by searching the old forums. You can search from:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/

Replacing the 11 TENDER with a SPORT 15 will give you a much better boat for running around, but be aware that the SPORT 15 hull is more of a V-hull and may not have the same lateral stability as you may have found in the TENDER model.

Artifactual

Postby Artifactual » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:23 am

Great info and thank you for the links. The motor is still the same 20 hp unit, I just changed the intake and carb from a same year 30 hp motor. The only difference between the 20 hp and 30 hp models was the size of the intake and carb. All of the internals as in bore stroke and power head are the same, right down to the gear case... Performance was unchanged other than a better initial planing and more RPM's made getting up on plane with two adults and a kid easier. Tops out about 28-30 mph. Boat loved the addition of a few ponies.

The reason I ask is I have found a stripped 15' that has been completely re-done. Granted it needs rigging and a motor but all the other stuff has been done. Painted with Awlgrip inside and out, it's an 87 model and nicely done, it's sits on a good trailer....I have a good running 90's 70 hp Johnson for it and plan on mounting a minimal side console, I guess making it a sport.

The owner of the 15' and I have thrown around that a trade may fit here, just looking for some input on the right deal...I know it's all what works for me and the owner of the 15', he's asking 3000 for his rig.

Thanks in advance

Will

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:36 am

Will
You have a big boat and it probably isn't your first boat, therefore you know the saying 'an old boat is only worth what somebody will give you for it'.
Tenders are not as sought after as an older 13' or 15' whalers and therefore the demand rules.
Good luck in seller her.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot