2001 DAUNTLESS 16: Adding Bow Mounted Trolling Motor

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ThePetrel

2001 DAUNTLESS 16: Adding Bow Mounted Trolling Motor

Postby ThePetrel » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:40 pm

Give me advice on how to install a mount for a trolling motor to a 2001 DAUNTLESS 16 while keeping the rail intact.

I want the trolling motor to be able to control the boat in windy conditions.

I do not want drill any holes in the beautiful DAUNTLESS 16 until I am certain that the outcome will be a great set-up.

jimh

Re: 2001 DAUNTLESS 16: Adding Bow Mounted Trolling Motor

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:05 pm

ThePetrel wrote:Give me advice on how to install a mount for a trolling motor to a 2001 DAUNTLESS 16 while keeping the rail intact.
Q1: Is "the rail" you are asking about the bow railing?

A first step is to obtain from Boston Whaler the factory drawing that indicates where embedded reinforcement material has been placed inside the Unibond hull in the bow area where you expect to be locating the mounting assembly for the trolling motor. Having knowledge of where embedded reinforcement material is located will help you determine the type of fasteners that will attach the mount to the hull.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:23 pm

I have written on how to hinge the rail. Using the search feature will find many of my posts including this one:

https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7985&p=46073#p46073
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

ThePetrel

Postby ThePetrel » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:41 pm

Thank you for your help and replies. I attached a screenshot of a prior post from this site.

[Moderator's note: I have deleted the picture of the text of the prior discussion. Submitting long text passages as a picture of the text is not an effective method of presentation of the information. In order to point readers to information contained in a prior discussion available at this website, you MUST use the URL of the resource, not a picture of the resource.]

Some Whaler owners apparently were able to attach the the trolling motor below the bow rail without [cutting the railing and using a hinge]. That would be an ideal situation for me. I just don't know how they did it.

Give me advice and pictures [for a method to attach a bow mounted trolling motor on a 2001 DAUNTLESS 16 so the trolling motor can be below the bow railing].

I can't view the [linked images] in the [archived post].

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:07 am

Here is the link to the full thread:

https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011740.html

To avoid the rail, the motor must be able to deploy and clear the rail.

In many cases, the owner installed a slide for the motor to sit on. To deploy, the motor and arm slide forward and lock into a position forward enough for the arm to rotate clear.

Sample slide -

https://www.factoryoutletstore.com/product/minn-kota-mka-16-03-quick-release-bracket/minn-1854036-n
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:19 am

PHIL--Thanks for finding the quite old post that was being referenced.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:23 am

ThePetrel wrote:I can't view the [images linked] in the [archived post].
The archived forum post you are referring to was made 16-years ago. The images on the photo-hosting website that was linked in the 16-year-old post are no longer available on the external website. It is common on the internet that links to resources that were posted 16-years ago might no longer be accessible.

That the 16-year-old discussion in the forum on continuousWave is still available is because this website's goal has been to collect and organize useful information, and to keep that information available for as long as possible. However, I can only maintain the resources of this website. I cannot retain resources on other websites.

ThePetrel

Postby ThePetrel » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:44 am

Hey Phil,

Thank you for the additional information and your input

Q2: Is there any reason to go with the hinged rail setup that you posted as opposed to the slide release bracket?

I'm reticent to cut or drill any more than necessary, but if the pros outweigh the cons, perhaps that's worth considering. It seems to my novice eye that the slide release would be just as effective and minimize the alterations to the existing Whaler setup, but perhaps I'm missing something.

-Mike

PS - Jim - thank you for your help with the post and moderating this great site! I wasn't able to reply to your private message and sent a Thank you note to your gmail address a couple days ago.[Got your email; thank you for the kind comments--jimh]

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:24 am

ShuttleSlide makes a large range of sliding trolling motor mounts in various lengths. I love the ShuttleSlide sliding trolling motor mount on my 1987 MONTAUK. It keeps the trolling motor inside the rub rail, unless it's deployed.

I also thought I was going to have to [install a] hinge the [1987 MONTAUK] bow rail. After installing the bow trolling motor, I found I can deploy it by using two hands to support the head; sliding out the motor past the rail, and then allowing the trolling motor to pivot down into the water.

NEW TOPIC: BATTERIES FOR USE WITH ELECTRIC TROLLING MOTORS
[Please start a new thread in the SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum to introduce your new topic on a particular brand of battery to use with electric trolling motors.--Moderator]

ThePetrel

Postby ThePetrel » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:29 am

MarkCz wrote:ShuttleSlide makes a large range of sliding trolling motor mounts in various lengths. I love the ShuttleSlide sliding trolling motor mount on my 1987 MONTAUK. It keeps the trolling motor inside the rub rail, unless it's deployed.
Thanks for the input about shuttle slide.

I see there are a number of different sizes (7 inch, 9 inch, 12 inch, etc).

Q3: Is there a particular size that you would recommend?

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:53 am

MarkCz wrote:Q3: Is there a particular size [ShuttleSide] that you would recommend?
On my 1987 Montauk [17] I used the 9-inch shuttle slide—but your bow may be slightly different.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:52 am

Before deciding on how you will install the batteries and wiring for the trolling motor check inside the console for a rigging tunnel running forward from the console. If the tunnel is there it is to facilitate installation of trolling motor wiring.

The buyer of our previous 1999 Dauntless 16 wanted to install a trolling motor. The boat did not have the trolling motor option package. I assume the tunnel was included with all of these boats to simplify the construction process when the order included the option.

After a little effort we learned the tunnel ran all the way from the console to the bow. The new owner purchased the switch and the other OEM parts needed for the installation and very carefully drilled through the flat on the bow. This allowed for a clean, almost OEM perfect, installation of his trolling motor.
Butch