Bilge Pump Wiring and Switch

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
BlueSmoke

Bilge Pump Wiring and Switch

Postby BlueSmoke » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 pm

Right now my 1977 Boston Whaler SPORT 15 boat's RULE 1100 automatic bilge pump is wired directly to the battery with an in-line fuse on the positive circuit that is accessible to remove in order to turn off. Is there any reason I should be changing the wiring to a three-position OFF-ON-AUTO switch?

How do readers have their boat's pump wired? And why that wiring?

This boat is kept at my dock or on its trailer with plug pulled.

Thanks

jimh

Re: Bilge Pump Wiring and Switch

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:51 pm

BlueSmoke wrote:Is there any reason I should be changing the wiring to a three-position OFF-ON-AUTO switch?

An in-line fuse is not intended to be any sort of control device for any electrical circuit. The fuse is just there to protect against excessive current flow in the circuit, not as a control device.

If you want to be able to switch off electrical power to the pump, install a switch in the positive circuit for control.

Check with the manufacturer of the pump for advice on the circuitry they recommend to implement OFF-ON-AUTO functions with one switch.

BlueSmoke wrote:How do readers have their boat's pump wired? And why that wiring?

There are two sump pumps on my boat. Both are wired to three-position toggle switches with AUTO-OFF-ON(momentary) action. For details of the wiring I use, see my article about installation and wiring of sump pumps at

COCKPIT SUMP PUMPS

By the way, usually a Boston Whaler SPORT 15 will be able to float high enough that you can leave the cockpit sump drain to the sea open, and not very much water will collect in the cockpit. For advice on drains and plugs, see

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... drainTubes