1988 Outrage 18 teak restoration

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
JBell4

1988 Outrage 18 teak restoration

Postby JBell4 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:02 am

[Inferred questions extracted from long narrative:]
Q1: how can the wooden gunwales of a 1988 OUTRAGE 18 be removed for staining?

Q2: can the wooden gunwales of an 1988 OUTRAGE 18 be stained while still in place on the boat?

BACK STORY: I have an [1988--PLEASE USE FOUR DIGITS FOR YEARS] Outrage 18 that was passed from a family friend, to my father and now me. This boat has all the teak that Boston Whaler loved to use. I've cleaned and oiled it before, but it just doesn't last longer than a few weeks. Currently I've removed all teak, excluding gunwales, cleaned, sanded and applied first layer of Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak stain.

I decided on this method of wood protection because I'd rather re-sand and stain in a few years than constantly re-oil.

I tried to remove the gunwale to [stain them in the] the same [manner as] as the other parts. This part of the boat seems to require more work and knowledge for removal. I'm a general weekend around-the-house handy man that tends to get in over my head. I don't feel like taking the gunwale removal any further.

I feel like this minor restoration would make my father and his friend happy, not to mention how good it will look on the lake and in the ocean creeks.

Thanks for any help and response.

Phil T

Re: 1988 Outrage 18 teak restoration

Postby Phil T » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:15 am

You'll need to drill out the plugs and remove the screws.

If you are just refinishing, consider taping off the sides and do it in place.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:15 am

I believe the gunwale boards are fastened to the fiberglass gunwales below with screws. The screw heads are probably covered by teak plugs or bungs.

A prior owner may have used some adhesive sealant, which could make removal more difficult.

JBell4

Postby JBell4 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:19 am

Phil T wrote:You'll need to drill out the plugs and remove the screws.

If you are just refinishing, consider taping off the sides and do it in place.
That is what I will end up doing.

The method I'm following with Sikkens requires three coats of stain and two of gloss. I know the gloss will flake over time and I'll have to redo this, but i have to try something different than oil.

I will tape-off and try to get as much gloss under the trim as possible for a uniform look. If I could remove the rub rail and trim and have all teak to work on [the method of applying the new finish] would be fine.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:13 pm

JBell4 wrote:....applied first layer of Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak stain...

Use of CETOL on teak has been a topic of prior discussions, with some variation among participants in their the opinion of the product.

Sikkins Cetol Gloss - soft, sticky, not sweet
https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003545.html

Refinishing Teak 18 Outrage
https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/007075.html

The principal objection to CETOL seems to be the color: too orange. And the lack of transparency: too opaque.

I have seen some woodwork finished with CETOL which has lifted off the wood. Extensive stripping and sanding would be needed to re-do the finish.

I don't know if the product discussed in those older discussions is the exact same product you are using. On the manufacturer's website I have found this product:

Cetol® Marine Natural Teak
Protective translucent wood finish for boats

https://www.interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/varnish/cetol-marine-natural-teak

The description says "...creates a rich golden color finish...." The paint can is marked with a tan or light brown color band, which suggests to me that there is considerable pigment involved in this product.

JBell4 wrote:....applied first layer of Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak stain...

The word "stain" is never used with that product. Please clarify what product you are actually talking about.

JBell4

Postby JBell4 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:30 pm

The first coat provided an interesting look. Each piece seems to have its own shade.

ASIDE: I had to replace the cooler chocks. This is 34-year-old teak. Anything to prolong its life is good. This boat sits under cover outdoors. It sees the lake regularly and the ocean once or twice a year. Between that, kids and dog I liked the idea of protecting it with more than just oil. I hope to be done before I leave for the coast in April. I'll revisit and post photos and a final thought.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:46 pm

JBell4 wrote:This is 34-year-old teak.
I suspect the wood is much older than the boat. Old-growth teak lumber was probably 50 to 100-years-old when it was initially cut down.

JBell4

Postby JBell4 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:21 am

I guess it's 134 year old teak. I applied 3 coats of Cetol. 24 hours between coats 1 and 2 and 48 hours before coat 3. I'll wait 48 hours and start the gloss this weekend. I'll also disassemble all stainless accessories on the gunwale and get those ready for stain and gloss. Weather should be good this weekend and coming week. Hopefully I can get it in before any rain. I'll try to figure out how to post a photo so you can see what the results of this method. The wood looks stained. It isn't orange. It may be a little darker than I want but it will look much better than before.